Ever since I started college last year and discovered the full wonders of the Internet, my level of television viewing has dropped considerably. However, there are still 5 shows that I consider must-see TV heading into the 2009-10 season.
1. Survivor--Commonly thought of as the show that started the reality-show craze, I was very hesitant to watch it for the first few years of its existence. I did watch the Season 2 premiere and was not impressed. However, I happened upon a random episode toward the end of Season 6 while changing channels and was hooked instantly and permanently. I've watched a dozen seasons since then, and am continually amazed how each season is similar to, but somehow different than, the others. Looking forward to the inevitable new twists of the next season (Season 20, I believe).
2. NCIS--One of many shows that I started watching because my mom was watching them. This show stands out among others in the drama genre because it complements cutting-edge investigative technology with a character base that has been stable (but not too stable) over the show's run. My only complaint is that I wish they would have kept Shepard as Director. Ended with one of the best cliffhangers of 2009 when the team left Ziva in Israel. Can't wait to see how that resolves itself.
3. The Mentalist--Unquestionably the best new show of the 2008-09 season. It reminds me more of a mystery/detective story than a TV show because it focuses primarily on the main character's attention to even the minutest detail, often without the dependence on technology characteristic of shows like CSI. It is unique, which is exceedingly difficult to do with the abundance of TV shows in today's world.
4. Ghost Whisperer--Another one of the shows introduced to me by my mother. I did not watch a single episode of the show during its original airing, but the shows were shown in order (with some deletions) over the summer, something I have rarely, if ever, seen before. The concept of being able to see and communicate with ghosts intrigues me, and the plot line concerning Jim/Sam is the best I've seen in quite some time. The only thing is, I haven't been used to watching TV on Friday in a long time, and that has doomed other shows I normally would've watched (e.g. Numbers). Hopefully, I can remember to watch this show, because it's just that good.
5. CSI--As recently as 2 years ago, this was my favorite show. However, the farewells of characters Sara Sidle and Gil Grissom, in my opinion the two best, have diminished its quality somewhat. Still, it remains considerably better than either of its spinoffs, and enough of the traditional characters remain to keep the show enjoyable. However, as CSI enters its 10th season, I wonder how much longer it can keep being innovative and fresh, the qualities that have made it a CBS staple almost since its debut.
I was also going to put my picks for best new shows of 2009-10 in here as well as my favorite cancelled programs, but this post is already lengthy and it's nearly midnight as I'm writing this, so I'll stop here. Aha, now I'm giving you a reason to check back here! :3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment